Skip to content

History

 

Department History – When it all began

  • Organized in November, 1940
  • Incorporated in March, 1941
  • 14 Original Charter Members

Fire Station

The Original Firehouse

  • Our first fire station was the garage behind 6 Minnehaha Road, owned by one of the members, Elmer Gemlo
  • Current fire station is on Wykagyl Road
    • Borough donated two lots, Department purchased four additional lots for $1.00 and owned the entire block
    • Building built and owned by the members starting in September 1942.
    • Constructions slowed due to World War II when many of the members were serving in the military, and building materials were scarce.
    • Construction was finally completed in 1948
      • Two-bay garage, kitchen, bathrooms, and a stage
    • 1949 – A heater room was added to the rear of building
    • 1962 – Small vestibule and office added
    • 1967 – New 3 bay Engine Room added. Original building remodeled as meeting room
    • 1975 – Hallway extended, new entrance door added, and new “A” frame roof installed
    • 1985 – Chief’s office and lounge built with memorial funds donated for Elwood “Woody” Cunningham
    • 1989 – Kitchen remodeled
    • 1990 – Administrative office added
    • 1995 – Engine room remodeled to make room for new pumper
    • 1999 – Engine room remodeled to make room for second new pumper
    • 2001 – Replaced garage doors and concrete ramp
    • 2007 – Replaced the flat roof.
    • 2009 – Engine room remodeled to make room for new rescue
    • 2012 – New addition to Engine Room for Chief’s Office
    • 2014 – Interior renovation project begins
The Firehouse Today

The Firehouse Today

 

Engine 6912

Engine 6912

  • First truck was acquired in 1940, type and make are unknown
  • 1942 – Purchased 1929 VIM pumper from Magnolia Fire Company
  • 1942 – 1929 Stutz pumper purchased from Clayton Fire Company
  • 1946 – 1941 GI Fire Pumper, front mounted pump, purchased from the US Army just prior to being shipped overseas to Europe
  • 1954 – 1937 Diamond “T” 500 pumper – Purchased from Westville Fire Department
  • 1959 – Two-way radio installed in Chief Ed Stratton’s personal vehicle. First Chief’s Vehicle Unit #667
  • 1960 – Department submits bid to purchase 100ft Aerial Ladder from Philadelphia Navy Yard. Unit sold to higher bidder
  • 1962 – 1939 Seagrave Pumper, with open cab and straight 12 cylinder engine, purchased from Mack Truck (previously owned and operated by Dover Fire Department, Delaware)
  • 1963 – 1947 Diamond “T” , purchased from East Pennsauken Fire Company
  • 1967 – First new truck – Ford/Boyer 750 GPM pumper, purchased from Nat Alexander Company, Laurel Springs
  • 1973 – New Hahn, 1000 GPM pumper purchased
  • 1979 – 1963 Utility Van purchased from Wonder Bread Baking Company and converted into a rescue, by the Department
  • 1986 – New GMC 18 foot StepVan purchased and converted to a rescue/utility
  • 1993 – 1987 Ford Crown Victoria Chief’s Car, purchased from Camden Police for $1.00
  • 1995 – New Pierce “Saber” 1500 gpm pumper purchased
  • 1996 – 1993 Jeep Cherokee Chief’s Vehicle, purchased from Camden County Park Police for $1.00
  • 1999 – New KME “Renegade” 1500 gpm pumper purchased
  • 2002 – 1990 Dodge RamCharger purchased from Camden County for $1.00
  • 2007 – 1999 Mercury Sable wagon, Chief’s Vehicle (donated by Eastern Lift Company)
  • 2008 – 2007 Dodge Durango Chief’s Vehicle purchased
  • 2009 – New 2010 Hackney/International Rescue purchased via 2009 AFG Grant
Engine 6912 Today

Engine 6912 Today

Life Members

  • John McMordie
  • Edward A. Stratton Sr.
  • Brian Cunningham
  • Gary Pierce
  • Michael Ali
  • Fred Fulton
  • David Dodds
  • Peter Prete Jr.
  • Cheryl Cunningham
  • Nick Cunningham
  • Rob Cunningham
  • Ken Corson
  • Walt Domanski
  • Marcellina Cunningham

Department Chiefs

  • George Barnes – 1940 to 1941
  • James “Jake” Moos – 1942 to 1955
  • Edward G. Stratton – 1956 to 1966
  • Donald Pierce – 1967 to 1982
  • Edward A. Stratton Sr.- 1983 to 1992
  • Brian Cunningham – 1993 to 2001
  • Andy Tally – 2002 to 2003
  • Brian Cunningham – 2004 to present